• Holiday Sale on Classic Black and White Images of Route 66 Landmarks

    Click Image

  • Along Route 66

    Click to Buy Book

  • Route 66

    First 66 Book

  • December 2022
    M T W T F S S
     1234
    567891011
    12131415161718
    19202122232425
    262728293031  
  • Categories

Winslow, Arizona

 

Hubbell Trading Post, Winslow, Arizona

Hubbell Trading Post, Winslow, Arizona

Winslow, Arizona is rich in 66 artifacts. Lorenzo Hubbell’s old trading post houses the Chamber of Commerce. There are plans in the works to house a museum to the city’s heritage. 

Lorenzo Hubbell understood the compelling value of American Indian Arts as early as 1876 when he purchased a trading post in Navajo country and named is Ganado. In the 1880s he purchased a warehouse in Winslow, which Lorenzo, Jr. ran and served travelers on 66 after 1926.

 

La Posada, Winslow

La Posada, Winslow

Fred Harvey built La Posada in 1929 as the headquarters of the Harveycar Indian Detours, auto tours to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, the Meteor Crater, the Grand Canyon, and the Hopi Pueblo. The Indian Detours were very successful in New Mexico and Harvey held out the same hopes for the Arizona tours.

 

The Modern Sign, Winslow, The remnants of an early motel

The Modern Sign, Winslow, The remnants of an early motel.

Across the street from Hubbell’s was the Modern Motel, a Temporary Home for Those who Roam.

 

Store for Men, Winslow

Store for Men, Winslow

 During the 1940s Wayne Troutner, who owned the store for men in Winslow, and James Taylor, who owned the Jackrabbit in Joseph City to the east, traveled route 66 as east as Springfield, Missouri and erected signs to draw people into their stores in Arizona.

The Jackrabbit, Joseph City

The Jackrabbit, Joseph City

One was a cowgirl the other a black jackrabbit on a yellow background. The Store for Men burned down, the Jackrabbit still thrives.

 

Also gone from Winslow is the Bruchman Trading Post, which in the 1980s as people began traveling 66 again, most closely resembled a post that catered to Navajo and Hopis. It sold velvet shirts and bolts of cloth to the Indians and carried Navajo jewelry, rugs, pots, and baskets for the tourists. Today the store is a cafe.

Advertisement